BANDSTAND - 1885
The Bandstand was originally built around 1885 between Main and Bridge Streets, close to Constitution Street. In 1899 at the request of Wagner’s Silver Cornet Band, the bandstand was moved or rebuilt nearer to Main Street. The new structure, designed by Jules C. Leffland, had a roof for the first time. The Old Standpipe was disassembled in 1923, and the bandstand was moved to the center of the plaza, resting on the standpipe’s concrete base. A favorite setting for rallies, concerts, and other gatherings, the Bandstand was restored in 1962. In 2003, Hurricane Claudette destroyed the historic bandstand, and a new, slightly enlarged version was built on the site.